I wanted a quick dinner the other day and started thinking about what I had in my fridge that I wanted to finish up and came up with this simple pasta. There was about a 1/3 bottle of leftover pasta sauce from Prego’s and some grated parmesan which I had from making my Eggplant Parmagiana. Then there was this onsen egg (slightly overcooked) which I had made a couple of days before and a small bottle of anchovies in oil which has been sitting in my pantry for a while now.
I added in some herbs which I bought from the market, and had this simple dish which I think is worthwhile sharing if you want something easy. If you like a little spice, add in some tabasco and it will taste something like an Arrabiata.
- 1 serving of pasta, boiled till 1 min short of al dente, drained (You can opt to do this simultaneously as you cook the sauce or prep it ahead. The former is a better option)
- 1/3 bottle of pasta sauce – about 200 grams
- 3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese or more
- Small handful of Thai basil leaves – about 15 leaves, roughly chopped
- Small handful of mint leaves – about 15 leaves, roughly chopped
- Approximately 5 fillets of anchovies
- 2 tablespoons of anchovy oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon of minced garlic
- Black pepper
Set a non-stick pan on low heat. When warm, place the anchovy fillets, anchovy oil and minced garlic.
Lightly sauté the mix for 1 minute while meshing up the anchovies into a paste, taking care not to burn the garlic.
Add in the pasta sauce and continue to sauté for about 2 minutes.
Throw in the pasta. I prefer fusilli for this as the grooves will help to trap the sauce onto the pasta, giving a nicer bite. Toss it in the sauce evenly as it reduces, the pasta should cook for about 1 minute till al dente. Grate in some black pepper.
Add in the Thai basil and Mint, toss for about 20 seconds.
Add in 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan and toss evenly.
This should start to thicken the sauce around the pasta. Turn off the heat.
Serve with the remaining grated parmesan. If you have an onsen egg, break it over the pasta. Grate some black pepper and serve.
How it looks like with egg mixed in. Enjoy.
- Add in some Tabasco sauce if you like a punch
- You can opt to use other fresh herbs as well such as Italian basil, thyme or oregano
- I didn’t add in any salt as the anchovies and cheese would already impart enough saltiness. But add in some if you think it isn’t enough.